With the holidays upon us, many people will be traveling the highways to visit family and friends. Travel during this time of the year can present challenges that are not as common during other times of the year. Learn how to stay safe on the roads this holiday season. Import Car Center is available to assist in making your holiday travel safer with maintenance, inspection and/or auto repair in Southlake, TX.
Stay on Top of Road Conditions
Traffic delays are during the holidays. Fortunately, you can download an app for your smartphone that will keep you up-to-date on traffic conditions and delays. In addition, use voice activated technology and never text and drive. Also, watch for interstate digital signs which provide you with traffic warnings or direct you where to find additional information.
Schedule a Pre-Trip Inspection and Service
Schedule a pre-trip inspection and service well ahead of your trip. You do not want your trip delayed due to the need for auto repair in Southlake, TX at the last minute. A certified, professional mechanic can inspect your vehicle, change the oil, check the tires and tire pressure, verify the proper function of brakes, check the battery, windshield wipers and much more. A pre-trip professional inspection can help you avoid being stranded on the side of the road by detecting failing components and the need for auto repair in Southlake, TX.
In addition, if you may be driving through extremely cold areas, and/or snow or ice conditions, it is also good insurance to carry emergency supplies in the event you are stranded. Blankets, water, non-perishable food, games for children, medication, baby formula, a bottle warmer and extra diapers are a few of the items you should consider having on hand.
Leave early enough to arrive on time. If you are feeling exhausted or drowsy, stop to get a cup of coffee and pull into a rest area for a short nap.
It is important that you do not try to drive when you are tired. It is also recommended that you stop about every two hours to stretch your legs. Driving when you are extremely fatigued and/or drowsy could be dangerous for you and your passengers, and also for other motorists. Busy highways and slow traffic are a catalyst for aggressive drivers and road rage. Remember, confrontations are sometimes deadly. Use the following tips to help make your trip safer:
- When passing another vehicle, do not remain in the passing lane, or cut off other motorists.
- Avoid tailgating to prevent road rage and allow yourself the distance required to stop if necessary. When another driver is following you too closely, pull over when you can safely do so, and allow them to pass. If you are unable to see the headlights of the vehicle behind you in the rear view mirror, they are tailgating you.
- Ignore foul language and rude gestures.
- Never block turning lanes.
- Park correctly and between the lines. Visually check your parking and correct your parking if necessary. Taking up multiple parking spaces increases your risk of encountering an angry driver.
- Do not block the road to talk to a friend. Safely pull over to the side of the road, and out of the way of traffic.
- Do not speed up to prevent cars from passing, allow them to pass.
- Use your turn signal when merging, and do not cut other drivers off when trying to merge. If a driver cuts you off, slow down and allow them room to merge into your lane.
- Remain a safe distance away from an aggressive driver if possible, and call 911, or proceed to the nearest police station.
- Do not pull off the road for a confrontation with an aggressive driver. Avoid eye contact with an aggressive driver, which they may perceive as a threat.
- If you think you are being followed, or a driver is attempting to instigate a fight, call 911, or drive to a police station. If the driver continues to follow you, do not leave your vehicle until help arrives, and never drive home. Doing so informs an aggressive person of where you live.
- When traffic is stopped, leave room in front of your vehicle to pull out if a driver were to become threatening or if a vehicle were to become disabled while you wait. Import Car Center provides top auto repair in Southlake, TX.
- If your vehicle becomes disabled but is drivable, turn on your emergency flashers and move to the far right lane. Otherwise, safely pull over, and call for a tow. Keep your doors locked while you wait. In addition, be patient with other drivers of a disabled car in need of auto repair in Southlake, TX. Import Car Center can provide the auto repair in Southlake, TX that you need.
Holiday travel is generally a time when the roads are busier than ever, but a little preparation goes a long way to help keep you safe. Import Car Center can provide the inspection, maintenance and auto repair in Southlake, TX that you require prior to your holiday travel. You can rely on our ASE certified mechanics for professional and reliable automotive services for your domestic, import or luxury car. Our mechanics take pride in providing the best services available, you can rely on us to use the latest equipment and software upgrades for dealer performance inspection, testing and auto repair in Southlake, TX.