The coolant in your E46 BMW 3 series circulates through the engine to remove the heat generated by the engine and prevent your from overheating. The coolant is also referred to as antifreeze, and it is simply a specific mixture of ethylene glycol and distilled water with some additives to help keep your engine running smoothly.
The circulation of coolant starts in a reservoir connected to the radiator. It passes through the cylinder block, where it absorbs the heat from the engine. The coolant then moves from the engine into the radiator, where it is cooled off by the air flowing in through the radiator grill. From there, it repeats the cycle for as long as your engine is running.
However, some E46 3 Series drivers have complained about having coolant leaks. It is important to know how coolant leaks affect your vehicle’s performance, and its causes. Dealing with the problem promptly could save you from costly repairs and irreparable damages.
Causes of Coolant Leaks in BMW E46 3 Series
As you would expect, there are usually signs indicating that your BMW is leaking coolant. The following could cause a coolant leaks:
- Failed Hose Connection: A hose connects the pump and the radiator. If the connection between the pump and radiator breaks either due to a poor connection or defective hose, it would allow the coolant to escape from the cooling system.
- Blown head gasket: Your BMW head gasket is located between the engine block and cylinder head. The head gasket seals the engine combustion chamber and also keeps the coolant and oil separated. When the head gasket becomes blown, it no longer has the capacity to keep the engine oil and coolant separated, resulting in coolant leaks outside the engine.
- Leaking Radiator: The most common cause of radiator leaks is corrosion. The radiator and hose collects residue and rust. The rust compromises the structural integrity of the radiator causing it to leak coolant.
- Failed Reservoir: Another possible cause of the coolant leak is a defective reservoir. The reservoir is usually made from plastic. Plastic as we all know will begin to wear. Over time, the plastic could crack and cause a coolant leak in your vehicle.
The coolant, as you know, controls the temperature of your engine. The problem is that you don’t want your engine too hot or too cold. If your BMW is leaking coolant, your engine will not be able to regulate the temperature, thereby putting your engine and other components at risk of overheating.
If you are not sure if your coolant is leaking, it is important to have your cooling system inspected. If the reservoir has worn out, the other components might wear out. If other parts have worn out, then there will be leakages. Please always ensure that your car is not overheating. Overheating can cause serious damage to your BMW.
There are several tests that can be done to check if your coolant is leaking. One easy way is to test the pressure. At Import Car Centre, we can easily check-in for you quickly.
Symptoms of Coolant Leaks in a BMW E46 3 Series
There are some common signs that will tell you to bring in your BMW to see if coolant is leaking from anywhere.
- Coolant under your car: This is the most obvious symptom that your vehicle is leaking coolant. You will notice a bright-colored puddle in the engine compartment or under your vehicle. Coolant usually has a sweet smell.
- Overheating engine: This can occur as a result of coolant leaks. The absence of coolant within the system to cool off the rising temperature causes the system to fail. If you notice that the engine temperature is rapidly climbing, you want to attend to it promptly to prevent costly or irreparable engine damage.
Import Car Center for your European Vehicle Service and Repairs
BMW has remained one of the forerunners when it comes to luxury vehicles. At Import Car Center, we’ve helped drivers of BMW and other European vehicles maintain and repair their vehicles. We are committed to providing you with the highest quality service possible.
Our shop is fully equipped with the latest factory-grade tools. We also have equipment available to ensure accuracy and quality with every visit!